Thursday, February 14, 2013

Phoenix, Albuquerque, and Another 15' weekend!


This past week I traveled to Phoenix, AZ to get a jump session and competition in with Greg Hull, and some training with Tori Peña.  It was the best week I’ve had in a loooong time…maybe ever.  I got to see almost all of the amazing people that I worked with the last 2 years out in Phoenix!  I feel like there have been so many exciting things happen within a couple short weeks, and it just keeps getting better!

For the first time since July I vaulted outside from a long approach in practice.  I was expecting it to be a so-so day because I haven’t jumped out in the elements in 7 months.  Plus, you never know how you’re going to take your first day.  Well…It turned out to be the best practice of the year so far!  I felt strong and confident, like nothing could stop me!  Most of my jumps were close to or over 15’ which I never tend to jump that high in practice consistently.  I was moving through poles, swinging fast, and finishing jumps! 

The next day, Tori and I did the speed trap for our sprinting workout.  For those of you who don’t know what the speed trap is, it basically measures the time it takes for you to run a selected distance.  Even though we jumped a lot and I had a heavy lift the day before, both of us ran FASTER today than we did a year ago!  In the past we’ve been fresh for speed trap days, so it was a good sign that we did a ton of work the day before and still ran faster! 

Making the 7 hour drive to Albuquerque was a blast, especially when you have Greg, Tori, Nick Mossberg, and Dustin DeLeo in the car with you.  We had some hilarious games of “Would you rather…” all the way there!  Haha Luckily we made the car our “safe zone”  ;)

So, after waiting alllll day to compete last Friday, I cleared another indoor PR, 4.62(15'2")!  I had so much fun!  We started the competition around 9pm and finished up about 10:15pm.  It was so nice that they split up the competitions so there were only 10 women in my section.  I started the meet at 4.32m(14’2”) with a huge first attempt clearance!  Greg immediately told me to pass to 4.52m(14’10”) and I didn’t even hesitate.  I went and put my sweats on and relaxed for a little bit while waiting for my next bar.  4.52m(14’10”) came around with another first attempt clearance!  Then the bar went to 4.62m(15’2”) and I cleared it on my first attempt!  I was so pumped!  Two weeks in a row over 15’!  The bar went up to 4.72m(15’6”) which would’ve been an All-Time PR.  I had two really close attempts at it, but no luck this time.

Before the competition and in between my jumps I was visualizing the next bar and going through relaxation techniques.  Breathe in…touch thumb and ring finger…let go…breathe out…and feel yourself relax and let all the stress go.  It worked!  I wasn’t paying attention to anyone around me or the competition that was going on…I was relaxed and focused!  It’s amazing what a little bit of fun, relaxation, and focus can do.  :)

Tomorrow, I’m flying to New York for the Millrose Games on Saturday, February 16th!  I’m so excited to jump in this meet #1.  Because my best friend, Miss Mary Saxer will be jumping with me, #2.  I will be jumping against the Olympic Gold Medalist, Jen Suhr, and #3.  I’ve never jumped in the Millrose Games before!  Wish me luck!
Thanks for reading!

Kylie
@ratherBvaulting
www.facebook.com/pv.kylie

No comments:

Post a Comment