Friday, March 1, 2013

Proud to be a Sycamore - MVC Championships


Competition wise…this past weekend was an off week for me to rest up for USA Indoor Nationals in Albuquerque, NM.  I’m actually in the process of traveling there now, and had a little bit of free time before my flight to write some of this blog!  I compete Saturday, 3/2/2013, at 4:15pm against the nation’s best!  I feel confident and ready to clear some high bars!  Can’t wait to get out there on that runway!

Ready to go to the airport!  Oh the life of a vaulter :)

Last weekend I had the opportunity to go to the Missouri Valley Conference Track and Field Championships at the University of Northern Iowa.  It was quite a bit different for me since I was on the coaching side of the spectrum.  I really enjoyed my time there watching the athletes battle it out on the track and in the field events.  I always wondered why coaches always seemed more nervous than athletes when I was in school.  Well…now I know!  As a coach, you have absolutely no control over the outcome of the competition.  You just have to pray that what you said in practice and at other competitions stays with the athlete, and they try their very best to make that bar! 

The Indiana State Men’s team won the championship, while the Women’s team was the runner-up!  Not a bad weekend from the Sycamores, eh?!  I couldn't be more proud to have been a part of such a great program as an athlete and now as a volunteer assistant coach for the vault crew!  The athletes have been putting in hard work on the track, weight room, and training room since the end of August.  It’s so nice to see it all pay off.  I know the women’s team wanted to win so badly and fought tooth and nail just to come up short…but they have come so far from their 5th place finish last year.  This is the highest the Women’s Sycamores have placed in 12 years!  So to all of the women on the team…Keep your heads held high…this is only part one of your journey this year.  :) 

MVC Men's Conference Champs!

My love for coaching has grown since I came back to Indiana State in October.  Being able to watch the athletes grow and mature as vaulters is so special.  They've come so far this year as a group and individuals.  Practices have been getting better, and everything was coming around at the right times.  Out of all the ups and downs we've had as a vault crew this year…I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Congrats to Coach Jeff Martin and the whole Indiana State Vault Crew for scoring at MVC’s this past weekend!

Women’s PV

1.            Kimmyanna Rudolph      3.95m/ 12-11.5
2t.           Richelle Kimble                 3.85m/ 12-7.5
7t.           Lauren Rice                         3.50m/ 11-5.75
7t.           Hannah McKnight            3.50m/ 11-5.75
7t.           Alyssa Markiewicz           3.50m/ 11-5.75

Men’s PV

4.            Connor Curley                   4.81m/15-09.25
5.            Wes Schenck                     4.81m/15-09.25
7t.           Andrew LaMaster            4.81m/15-09.25

**Congrats to Coach John McNichols for getting Coach of the Year award!

Coach Angie Martin put a great quote on the women’s comment sheet that I wanted to share:

BEING COMMITTED IS MEASUREABLE
I practiced my hardest todayor I didn’t.
I studiedor I pretended to study.
I supported my teammatesor I blamed them.
Commitment puts it on the line!
No games, no lies, no cheating!

Great Job this weekend Sycamores!  You make me proud  :)

Thanks for reading!

Kylie
@ratherBvaulting
www.facebook.com/pv.kylie

2 comments:

  1. Love it Kylie! Thanks for the post! Go Sycamores!

    Big Daddy Stull

    ReplyDelete