Thursday, January 24, 2013

2013 National Pole Vault Summit – Reno, NV


Wow!  What a weekend.  The Pole Vault Summit is one of my favorite competitions of the year!   I spent Wednesday through Sunday out in Reno and loved every minute of it!  UCS puts on such a wonderful event bringing in thousands of coaches, vaulters, and locals of all age groups! I was so glad to see my pole vault friends!  It had been too long! If you love pole vaulting…this is the weekend for you.

Being an elite vaulter at the Summit is like being a quarter of a celebrity.  Seeing the kids’ faces light up when you walk down the hallway or into a room gives me such pride.  It was not too long ago that I was a collegiate vaulter attending the Pole Vault Summit in 2008…doing the same thing and being in awe of all of the pole vault greats  J  This event is a great opportunity to meet the ones who look up to me and answer some of their questions.  I got asked anything from what do I do with my free time…to who I thought was the most attractive male vaulter!  Haha what free time?  And hmmm…I think we decided Brad Walker as they were giggling away ;) 

Going into the competition I was so pumped!  I had been having good vault sessions, running workouts, and weight sessions.  Being at the Pole Vault Summit with hundreds of people watching in the stands…music playing…a fast raised runway…and amazing competitors gives you so much adrenaline!  I can’t ask for a better atmosphere…maybe besides the Mall Vault in Des Moines, IA.

I ended up jumping 14’5.25”(4.40m).  So I’m making progress!  I just wish the progress was a little faster, but I know I have to be patient.  I have a long way to go until the World Championships in Moscow in the fall.  So I started on my 14’ poles and ended on my 14’6” poles, which I haven’t touched since the beginning of outdoor season 2012.  And it was the first time I had ran from 8 lefts/16 steps since the Olympic Trials.  BUT, like I said, I had so much adrenaline going I was able to make those changes quickly and smoothly.  I love those days when I’m back at the end of the runway and feel completely fearless! 


This was also the first time I had seen Greg Hull, my coach in Phoenix since the Olympic Trials back in June.  I can’t believe it had been that long!  It was so great to see him and to be able to work with him again.  Like Jeff Martin and I in Indiana…we mesh so well, and I have great trust in them both. If they told me to get on the runway with a 16’ pole and take a jump up…I’d probably do it!  Ok…maybe not a 16’ pole…haha…but I trust and know them enough that they wouldn’t tell me to do anything that I couldn’t do.  I can’t stress enough of how lucky I am to have them on my team J

Needless to say…the National Pole Vault Summit was a successful trip!  Thank you UCS, Nike, The Chappell’s, and everyone else involved with the summit for putting on such a fun event!


I’m leaving for my next competition in a couple hours!  7-8 hour bus ride to the University of Northern Iowa.  I have some great conference memories of jumping there in college, so I’m hoping for a great vault day!  Wish me luck!

Thank you for reading J  Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter @ratherBvaulting and on Facebook www.facebook.com/pv.kylie!

Kylie

1 comment:

  1. Kylie: This is awesome! Love being able to see what is going on with you. I am Jeff Martin's sister and even though we have not met, I feel I know you. :) Please ask Jeff for my email, I have some info I want to share with you. Good Luck at the University of Northern Iowa!

    ReplyDelete